Friday, March 15, 2013

Easy Peasy Banana Oatmeal Cookies

 Can I just say, I love my apron collection.   They're like grown-folks bibs. I wear one while I'm eating dinner if I'm absolutely positive that I'm going to spill dinner on myself. Which is most nights. I have seen food roll uphill up a perfectly still fork just to fall down on my lap.

No, really, my food has a life of its own. I made a turkey burger for lunch one day, put the plate on my desk, and walked away to get a drink. I was about 2 feet away when I saw the turkey burger take the long jump off the plate and onto the carpet. Naturally it was the part of the carpet where the long-haired cat likes to hide because it's way back in the corner behind the computers and very difficult to vacuum.

So aprons are cool when your food just wants to end all its troubles. And cookies are cool when you have bananas that are about to turn, but don't feel like going to all the trouble of making banana bread. (I am famous for my segues.)

An old friend posted a recipe by The Burlap Bag, and I'm posting it now for you. It's very difficult. Oh, so so difficult. No, I'm lying. That's why this is a mini-post. (Mini-posts mean I'm lying? No, mini-posts mean it's easy.)

Ingredients
3 bananas
1 1/2 cup of quick oats (regular oats may be undercooked)
Pinch of salt
-
Recommended: butter, vanilla, cinnamon, walnuts, raisins, peanut butter, chocolate chips if you don't have a chocolate-hating husband

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2) Mash up your bananas in a medium bowl.
3) Mush in the oatmeal & a pinch of salt.
4) Mush in whatever else you want. I went with a splash of vanilla and a swoosh of cinnamon, and about 1/ 3 cup of walnuts.
5) Drop onto your parchment-paper'd cookie sheet. (I fit 15 cookies onto one sheet.)
6) Bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
7) (Recommended but optional) Immediately upon removing from the oven, spray cookies with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. Or pat some butter on top. They need some buttery flavor.

So there you go!  Easy peasy, and so healthy for you that you can't even feel bad about it. I mean, you eat 5 cookies and you've just had a banana and 2/3c of oatmeal. Oh no. How terrible. It's like breakfast finger foods but without the bacon grease. (Oooh, someone put bacon in this and tell us if it works.)

I call this Banana Oatmeal Cookie in Morning Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment