Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Coconut Chocolate Cookies

C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!

I don't have any fancy stories with riveting dénouement and heartwarmingly successful conclusions for you today. I dunno, not much going on lately. I could tell you about the dream I had just a couple nights ago, whereby my husband & I were up in Delaware with an old high school friend searching frantically for an Indian restaurant.

No, that's about it.
Photo by Wikipedia
That's the whole dream.

See? Not much to say, except Indian food is roxxorz. If you haven't ever tried Indian food, your homework assignment is to find the nearest Indian joint within 10 miles and go by the end of the week. Trust me on this; it might look like a baby's diaper, but it tastes like heaven. (Especially the chicken tikka masala. Get that.) (And garlic naan.)

Yep.
Indian food in Delaware.

Moving on.

I've had these ingredients sitting in my kitchen for weeks now, just waiting to be used, and feeling sad every time they get passed over in favor of brown sugar or cumin. At least, that's how I imagine they feel. "Oh! Oh hey, are we gonna have some fun today? Oh boy ohboyohboy!  Look! It's me! Right here!  No, me! You're going too far to the left! I'm right here.. but...  oh."  Kinda like how the dog feels when you go walking towards the door with the leash in hand, only to discover that you were actually taking your pet turtle for a walk instead.

Cause, you know, turtles need walkies too.

Photo by Turtletown

So if you've got a half a bag of coconut shreds and some leftover chocolate chips, then hey, come play outside with the rest of us. These things are pretty good.

Ingredients

1 box of brownie mix (mine was 18.5 ounces)
1/2 cup of flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup of chocolate chips (I had white chocolate so used that)
1/2 cup of shredded coconut flakes (I had unsweetened coconut)
1/3 cup of coconut oil/vegetable oil/melted butter (I've been playing with coconut oil lately)
1 tsp of vanilla
1/2 tsp of coconut extract (because... coconut)
1 package of 8 snack size Almond Joy bars, chopped

1) Mix all of the ingredients in a big ol' mixing bowl. Yep, all at once. Go for it. You don't even have to bother with the Kitchenaid, just pull out your wooden spoon and have at it.
2) Put the batter & bowl in the fridge to harden up for about an hour.
3) Preheat the oven to 350º.
4) Take the bowl out from the fridge and drop rounded spoonfuls onto your parchment-paper'd cookie sheets.
5) Bake for 10-12 minutes; you'll know they're done baking when they're (mostly) no longer shiny.
6) Let them cool completely on the cookie sheets; they'll finish cooking as they cool.

Yep, that's all there is to it. Use up your leftover ingredients, make delicious cookies, and it's a win-win all 'round.  Heck, leave out the coconut and use any other candy bar that you have sitting there left over from Easter or Halloween or the weekend swap meet (people eat candy at swap meets, right? I mean I dunno, I'm just making stuff up here).  Can you picture it with peanut butter cups, or Rolos, or Whatchamacallits?  Good times, good times...



No comments:

Post a Comment